POWER will be showing art at spring artswalk – April 22nd and 23rd.
We will be continuing our Sock Monkeys for Social Justice exhibit.
Join us for POWER Outage on Monday, April 4th for a sock monkey workshop. Make a sock monkey that reflects a story from your life. It’s fun and cathartic.
POWER Outage starts with a potluck at 5:30 and goes til 8 pm at the POWER office, 309 5th Avenue, in downtown Olympia. Kids are welcome of course!
Join the facebook event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/562366107251207/
Let us know if you are interested in volunteering to help with artswalk – firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 360-701-3570.
- Washington state caucuses and primaries explained!
- Article from England’s Guardian about welfare reform.
- Safeplace in Olympia is hiring
Continue reading “POWER News for March 16, 2016”
March POWER Outage
Seed & Sprout Exchange (with FREE seeds from GRuB!)
Monday, March 7, 5:30 pm
POWER, 309 5th Avenue SE, Olympia WA 98501
Seed & Sprout Exchange with FREE Seeds from GruB! Bring your garden ideas, dreams and plans, and your extra seeds and sprouts, and we’ll learn from each other and share together. Kids are welcome and it is a potluck!
- Still time to submit written testimony against a bad food stamp bill.
- Ask legislators to pass anti discrimination housing bill!
- Speed Roommating and Monthly Housing Workshop in Olympia.
- Economics for Everyone Reading Group.
- Job opportunities from Portland to Seattle!
Continue reading “POWER News for February 29, 2016”
Join us tonight for February POWER Outage!
Journal Making and Autobiography Writing Workshop
POWER, 309 5th Avenue SE
in downtown Olympia
next door to Rainy Day Records
You are welcome to bring a potluck dish to share.
From 6 – 8 we will each be creating our own personal journal to take home. And we will discuss different ways of writing in a journal and how to use a journal to write your own life story.
Materials will be provided, and if you have more stuff you want to bring please do. Each person is encouraged to make their journal however they want it! It might be helpful to think ahead of time about how you want it to look and bring stuff to make it that way. It will be optional to share a journal entry but no one will be pressured.
Kids are welcome. Alya from the Olympia Childcare Collective will be on hand for fun and play. Children are also welcome to make journals.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Contact POWER at:
POWER – Parents Organizing For Welfare and Economic Rights
309 5th Avenue SE,
Olympia, WA 98501
toll free 866-343-9716
Find us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/mamapower.org
POWER is an organization of low-income parents and allies advocating for a strong social safety net while working toward a world where children and care giving are truly valued, and the devastation of poverty has been eradicated.
- Join Columbia Legal Services in fighting for TANF grant increase this legislative session! Would you be willing to testify? Write your TANF story? Let us know!
- Sign Mom’s Rising’s petition to make paid family leave a priority this legislative session!
- Elizabeth Warren’s interesting Op Ed about corporate welfare and presidents!
- Interested in going to the Oly Old Time Fest, but don’t have $30? Volunteer! Also workshops are free!
- Another volunteer opportunity. Apply to join Olympia Food Cooperative Board and earn hours toward a 25% discount in groceries!
Continue reading “POWER News for February 1, 2016”
MLK Day March!
Monday, January 18th at Noon
From downtown Olympia to the Capitol
Meet at 10 am for children’s activities and sign painting at POWER Parents Organizing for Welfare and Economic Rights
309 5th Avenue SE, next door to Rainy Day Records
Questions? Contact us at 360-352-9716 email@example.com www.mamapower.org
Take a stand for racial and economic justice!
- Department of Early Learning is asking for your feedback.
- Fact of the week from Coalition for Human Needs
- Sign WA CAN’s petition with a solution to tax inequity!
- 5 Reasons TANF Is Not a Model Assistance Program
- Safeplace is hiring a Spanish advocate.
Continue reading “POWER News for January 10, 2016”